Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I Like This


I always stand in front of the studio doors embracing a few bags and a foreign object that will be transformed into something beautiful one day.  On this day only one bag drops from under my armpit as the doors open.  I pick up my bag, begin the routine of putting my stuff away and Bam!  The Shag Hickory Bark strewn across the floor catches my eye.  Although  the plan for the day was to finish a hanging sculpture, the gears have been switched and the excitement built.  I jump right in working on connecting the bark pieces together.  There is a fabulous arch in the bark where I can see the string gather and fall.  At the end of the day, I study the piece and it dawned on me I didn't use any copper, something new.  

I feel like when Henry Moore said,  "The creative habit is like a drug.  The particular obsession changes, but the excitement, the thrill of your creation lasts."  He was describing my day.



2 comments:

  1. I’ve searched this info over the whole net. Much thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I found this blog through friends of mine in the Netherlands (Hermen and Annelies).
    The describing of the process is very inspiring. I recognize when I make something and the picture is already in my head I loose interest, when I follow the process and react I loose sense of time.
    Keep on sharing! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete