Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Peek at the Show



Hanging the Show is so exciting.  To my surprise so far, there have been no glitches; just smooth sailing.  On Friday I arrived at the Center City Galleries in Paterson NJ with two car loads of art work. Deon (one of the artists), was there waiting to move my precious cargo through the maze of elevators, corridors, and people to their new home for the month, the gallery.  We were toting branches, bark, and old vintage doors though the mall.  At one point I locked eyes with a passerby and she had the strangest look on her face.  It never dawned on me until that moment how strange we must have looked.

Deon, who was to assist me in hanging the show, went for lunch, and I stood in a huge room with my art strewn all over the floor.  I took a minute to relax and slowly things started to flow, in no time one wall was figured out and another then an other.  I was even visualizing Judith Peck's sculptures being placed.  By the time Deon returned, just about everything was placed and ready for hanging.  Mind you, hanging art work is not always the easiest, but between the two of us we figured out even the oddest requirements like, hanging mobiles and doors on hinges.  Half way through, Carmine the head honcho and man who offered me this opportunity, came to check on us.  The first thing he said was,  "Oh, this looks really good thats what you were thinking.  When I saw it on the floor I was worried, it looked a mess."  As we laughed, my mind shot over to the funny look on the woman's face when we were hauling the art through the mall.  Carmine sees art every day and was confused, so I can imagine what she thought.  I laughed an extra laugh at the thought.



The next day Judith arrived with a van load and Deon help us get her work in and placed.  Her work looks fabulous even better than I had imaged.  I am so grateful to her for joining with me in this exhibit.  There were only a few pieces that we were stomped with placing and a little moving here to there and back and we got it.  I have to thank Carmine for the space and his light hearted laughter, Deon for his willingess to help and sensitive insight and Judith for her beautiful creativity and wealth of knowledge.

The show is
Center City Galleries
301 Main St. Paterson, NJ
973 - 881 - 0001

Reception
April 9, 2011
6PM to 9PM
Show will Run April 3 - 28 hours 11AM - 6PM

2 comments:

  1. Bravo Myra!! It looks VERY exciting and innovative!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Debbie - this has been an amazing project!

    ReplyDelete